By: Muuna Cottage Cheese • November 14, 2017
Baked Apples with Maple Cottage Cheese
If you’re looking for a dessert recipe that is low-calorie, low-fat, and protein-packed, look no further! Elevate baked apples with crunchy granola and a whipped topping featuring Lowfat Plain Muuna cottage cheese, pure maple syrup, and spices.
- 3 Red apples (or any variety you prefer)
- 1 1⁄2 cups Lowfat Plain Muuna cottage cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cup Granola
- 1⁄4 cup Brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 2 Tbsp. Pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp. Ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 tsp. Ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 400 ° F.
2. Halve the apples and scoop out the seeds with a spoon or knife.
3. Combine the granola and brown sugar.
4. Lay the apples, cut side up, on a baking sheet and sprinkle each half with 1 – 1 1⁄2 Tbsp. of granola and brown sugar mixture.
5. Place 1⁄2 Tbsp. of cold butter on each half.
6. Bake in the oven for 15 minutes, or until the edges of the peel start to curl and the butter starts to brown.
7. Remove the apples from the oven.
8. While the apples cool slightly, combine cottage cheese, maple syrup, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a food processor and process until completely smooth (about 6 minutes).
9. Serve while apples are still slightly warm. Place a dollop of the cottage cheese mixture onto each apple half and top with a tsp. of the granola and brown sugar mixture.
Recipe Makes: 6 Servings
Protein: 9 g
Carbohydrates: 37 g
Fat: 9 g
Fiber: 3 g