By: Muuna Cottage Cheese • December 19, 2016
Fresh Spinach, Feta and Artichoke Dip
Indulging in a spinach & artichoke dip doesn’t have to be completely unhealthy! A Sweet Spoonful revamps this party favorite by swapping out some of the mayo for Plain Muuna cottage cheese – it cuts back on the fat and pumps up the protein!
2 Tbsp. Extra virgin olive oil, plus more for the baking pan
½ cup Shallot, minced
3 cloves Garlic, peeled and minced
12 cups Packed baby spinach, (about 15 ounces) washed and dried
1 (14-ounce) can Artichoke hearts, rinsed and coarsely chopped
1 cup Lowfat Plain Muuna cottage cheese
½ cup Mayonnaise
1 cup Parmesan cheese, Freshly-grated
Zest from 1 lemon (about 1 Tbsp.)
1 Tbsp. Lemon juice, freshly squeezed
½ tsp. Kosher salt
¾ tsp. Black pepper
¾ cup Crumbled feta cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400° F.
2. Rub a little olive oil on the inside of a 2-quart baking dish.
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
4. Add the shallot and cook for about 2 minutes or until golden and fragrant.
5. Add the garlic and spinach and continue cooking until spinach has wilted, about 2 minutes.
6. Using a slotted spoon, scoop the spinach mixture into a medium bowl (I press down a bit with my hands or the back of a spoon to remove any excess moisture).
7. Add the artichoke hearts, cottage cheese, mayonnaise, 1/2 cup of the Parmesan, lemon zest and juice, salt and pepper.
8. Scrape the mixture into the prepared baking dish, and spread the top so it’s nice and even.
9. Sprinkle feta cheese and remaining 1/2 cup Parmesan on top. Bake for 35 – 40 minutes, or until the dip is bubbling around the edges and the top is golden brown.
10. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving (it’ll set / firm up a bit during this time).
11. Serve hot with pita chips or crackers.
Note: Leftover dip will keep, covered in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.
Recipe Makes: 8 Servings
Protein: 11 g
Carbohydrates: 9 g
Fat: 17 g
Fiber: 2 g