By: Muuna Cottage Cheese • May 5, 2017
Light Caprese Spaghetti with Creamy Pesto Sauce
If you love pesto, you will adore this. It’s whole wheat spaghetti with grape tomatoes and fresh mozzarella tossed in a lightened up creamy pesto sauce! Sponsored by Muuna.
Early on in our relationship, Daniel claimed to hate pesto. It was a rough time. We couldn’t split a pesto pizza. We couldn’t go halfsies on a pesto-laden pasta. I barely made pesto for years because of it. Then, a year and a half ago when I moved into his apartment, I opened one of his kitchen cabinet’s only to find 3 jars of store-bought pesto.
He had finally fallen for the green stuff—and had been making chicken salad for lunch with jarred pesto and hot chili sauce every.single.day. for months and months.
You can practically feel the betrayal can’t you?
- ½ pound whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 5.3-ounce container Muuna low-fat cottage cheese
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Pinch salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups grape tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups mozzarella pearls
- Bring a large pot of to a boil and cook the spaghetti until al dente. Drain.
- Meanwhile, place the cottage cheese in a food processor or blender. Blend, scraping down the sides a few times, to break down the chunks (it won’t be entirely smooth; don’t worry). Add the basil, pine nuts, Parmesan cheese, garlic, olive oil, and lemon juice. Blend until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed to mix the ingredients. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- In a large serving bowl, toss the cooked spaghetti with the creamy pesto sauce. Add the grape tomatoes and mozzarella pearls and toss to combine. Serve warm (immediately), or at room temperature.