By: Muuna Cottage Cheese • March 3, 2017
Pineapple Buckwheat Pancakes
These hearty pancakes by Running to the Kitchen are “made with cottage cheese for a nice protein boost, each one adorned with a sweet caramelized pineapple ring and studded with hearty and nutritious hemp seeds both in and on top.” Start your morning right with this protein-packed recipe to fuel your day!
- 1 cup Buckwheat flour
- ¼ cup Almond flour
- 2 Tbsp. Hemp seeds, plus more for topping
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Allspice
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- 1 Container of 5.3oz. Pineapple Muuna cottage cheese
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp. Maple syrup, plus more for serving
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 cup Unsweetened almond milk (or any other milk)
- 1 Small pineapple, outer layer cut off, sliced into rings and cored (you can also use canned pineapple rings)
- 1 Tbsp. butter, divided
1. Heat a pancake griddle or pan over medium heat.
2. Combine flours, hemp seeds, baking powder, allspice and salt in a large bowl and whisk until combined.
3. Add cottage cheese, egg, maple syrup, vanilla to the bowl. Whisk as you slowly add the milk until everything is well combined.
4. Add a small bit of butter to the pan. Once melted, place one pineapple ring on top and cook until golden brown and starting to caramelize. Flip the pineapple slice over, spoon pancake batter on top so that it covers the ring entirely and spills over the sides a bit. Cook until set (about 3 minutes), carefully flip and cook another 2 minutes on the other side.
5. Repeat with remaining pineapple rings and batter.
6. Serve with maple syrup and extra hemp seeds for topping.
Recipe Makes: 4 Servings
Protein: 15 g
Carbohydrates: 63 g
Fat: 13 g
Fiber: 8 g